Pages

Wednesday, August 03, 2011

My Wish List

Between the wish and the thing life lies waiting.
--Traditional Proverb


I wish I had better skin. I wish I didn't have to look at rosacea and hormonal dark patches every day.

I wish I had soft feet.

I wish I knew what it was like to be "the pretty one" instead of "the smart one".

I wish aging was easier and not accompanied by failing health.

I wish politics would go away.

I wish Israel would give the Palestinian people the West Bank and the Gaza Strip. I feel bad that the Palestinian people have no land to call home.

I wish there was a home for all the homeless people.

I wish there was a job available for everyone who wanted one.

I wish college didn't cost so much. I wish every high school graduate could attend college if they chose to.

I wish I had a staff to do the cooking, cleaning and grocery shopping for me. I don't want to live in a mansion, I like my house just fine. I just don't like taking care of it. If I had a staff I would treat them like family and include them on vacations and holidays and I would do nice things for their children.

I wish I knew what I wanted to be when I grow up. I feel bad that I have no goals or ambition.

I wish disabilities would go away, especially for children. If they have to exist, I wish there were better services for the families of disabled children.

I wish Social Security actually worked. I wish it would generously support those who have worked all their lives so they can relax in their golden years.

I wish everyone knew and loved Jesus. I wish all Christians, myself included, would act just like him so they would attract people to him rather than repel them from him.

I wish people in general were nicer.

I wish I had better people skills.

I wish I was better at keeping in touch with old friends instead of letting them slip away. I wish they knew I think about them often.

I wish I knew how to turn off my brain. I wish I could clear my mind so that I could just sit and "be" without falling asleep.

I wish I didn't have narcolepsy.

I wish I knew what it was like to not be tired.

I wish I knew what it felt like to wake up in the morning and feel rested.

I wish I understood love better. I have a much better grasp on it than I used to but I'm still not sure what it is, what it looks like or what it feels like.

I wish sex was easier to talk about, especially with young people.

I wish hormones could be bottled up and kept safe until the appropriate time to release them.

I wish addiction didn't exist.

I wish forgiveness was easy. So easy in fact that no one would ever harbor resentment or bitterness.

I wish no one ever went hungry. I feel bad when I throw out bananas that I forgot to eat.

I wish my wishes were less selfish. Most of them have something to do with my own personal comfort.

I wish everyone who has wishes could feel joy and contentment even when their wishes remain unfulfilled.





4 comments:

Sweet Olive said...

No-no Shannon; make me cry...

Kathy F. said...

I love this Shannon -- and I'm so stealing that quote.

Shannon Green said...

Sorry about that Olive. I hate it when people make me emote too :)

Go for it Kathy, it's a keeper. I thought it was slightly more appropriate than the only other "wish" quote I could think of: "Want in one hand and s*it in the the other and see which one fills up faster". That one just didn't have the right tone. :)

Sharing My Thoughts said...

Shannon,
I've been sick all week so have almost read your entire blog finally. I think this is one of my most favorite of your posts. It makes me want to do an "I Wish" post on my own blog. One thing you do have your wish on......I have always thought you are so pretty and your personality makes you even prettier. I have a lot of health issues and reading your blog and watching your videos has made a lot of bleh hours more enjoyable. Thank you for sharing so much of your life, talents, and humor with us. :-) Andy