Pages

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Happy Mother's Day to Us!

Shamayn and I went on a little outing today. We started out at that flea market by the church. They had lots of good junk, especially the kind of junk I like which is pretty much anything as long as it's en masse. This big box of marbles kept me mesmerized for a good 20 minutes.
They had lots of stuffed stuff too. I thought the cowboys were just a bunch of dummies they dressed up for fun until I saw that someone had stuffed not only your typical lions, bears an deer...but also skunks and nutria. Now I'm thinking those cowboys are an example of someone's taxidermy hobby that got out of hand. We browsed for a good hour and managed to spend about a buck a piece. We thought their junk was a little on the pricey side.




Our next stop was the Maurice Flea Market. They had more antiques, less junk. Mayn bought a couple more thimbles for her collection and I found a fabulous set of old Samsonite luggage that's in mint condition. I bought 2 of the 4 pieces and may go back for the other 2 later.





From there, we stopped off for lunch at the Villager where Shamayn confirmed that they do indeed have the best chili cheese fries on the planet. We stuffed ourselves full of good food and ambiance then headed to Sephora to pick up some girly essentials.





We probably spent a good 2 hours in there. The store manager said it was such a joy to see someone leisurely shopping and enjoying themselves, she rarely sees that these days and was so glad to have the opportunity watch us shop. I'm sure that had nothing to do with the fact that every half hour we dumped another $50 worth of stuff into our baskets. Shamayn was on a quest for some skin care products that will treat her extremely dry, crusty, flaky, oily, slimy, acne-prone skin. I was looking for a lipstick that wasn't frosty or sparkly, not a clear gloss but nothing with a lot of color either, and something that will self-line without effort but not look like I have lip liner on. Sometime within this past year, I woke up to discover that I now have old lady lips and I'm none too happy about that. I bought a Smashbox Doubletake lip pencil just to prove to myself that I'm not at the coral stage yet. Someone just shoot me if I ever start wearing coral lipstick and matching nail polish. Oh. I did buy a new frosty blue nail polish that I really didn't need just to help ease the pain of the old lady lips.

While basking in the afterglow of our major cosmetics haul, our slightly impaired judgment told us that we needed to go pick up a chocolate dobash cake for supper. Mike had been watching the kids all day so they had already been fed and we wanted cake for supper because it's almost Mother's Day and we deserve it. We went to Southside Bakery, picked up the dobash cake as well as an assortment of cookies, pastries, and petite fours, most of which we ate in the car. As we were paying for our purchases, we were telling the little girl behind the counter at the bakery that we had just spent our childrens' college fund at Sephora and now we were having cake for dinner because it's Mother's Day and we can. Shamayn and I wished each other Happy Mother's Day and gave each other a big celebration hug. The little bakery girl laughed and said she hoped she could have as much fun as us when she got to be old.

That @#($%.

No comments: